September 13, 2008

life in general&journalism: music & my friend clifford!

I was going through some old CDs, that were catching dust in the shelves in my house, when I discovered one that had my handwritten title on it 'Mixed English Oldies - MP3'. It instantly reminded of my friend Clifford Alvares who was my colleague when I worked for Outlook Money magazine. He now works for a business magazine that is a rival and competitor to the one I work for.

Clifford is a true music lover and a collector of gems in western music. Through him, I got to listen to an astounding array of old songs and music of groups and musicians that I would otherwise never had a chance to listen to. He would get MP3 songs from god knows where and play it on his computer in office. My work seat was near his and thats how I got to hear all the songs he played. I used to like roughly 6 out of every 10 songs he played.

And then I would pester him no end to allow me to copy many of these songs from his computer to my own CDs. The CD that I discovered from my dusty shelf today was one such. I loaded this CD on to my notebook and copied the ones I liked on to my notebook.

Cliffie boy! If you read this blog post please accept my gratitude. We may have had our occasional dog fight in the office but the positive energy of lovely music eventually sorted everything out!

Here is a select list of the oldies (in no particular order) that I had the pleasure of listening to from the above CD:

Beautiful Brown Eyes - Clooney, Rosemary & Mitch Miller
A Bushel & A Peck - Doris Day
When Johnny Comes Marching Home - Mitch Miller
Pledging My Love - Johnny Ace
Tic Tac Toe - Jimmy Osmond
Keep On Smiling - Engelbert Humperdinck
House of the Rising Sun - Joan Baez
Till All the Rivers Run Dry - Don Williams
For All We Know - The Carpenters
Just When I Needed You - Barbara Jones
Only Love Would Know - Gordon Lightfoot
I Believe - Frankie Laine
If I Needed You - Emmy Lou Harris & Don Williams
One Fine Day - The Carpenters
Eventide - The Carpenters
Aurora - The Carpenters
Sing - The Carpenters
Mo' Better Blues - Branford Marsalis Quartet
Ghost Riders In the Sky - Frankie Laine

No comments: